Best open source platform to setup an ecommerce website
There are lots of free open source platform to setup a ecommerce website in just few minutes. Features of all scripts are almost same and include all basic features required for a ecommerce website. But everyone wants to select and use the best one. Below is list of popular ecommerce scripts / platform.
- Magento: Magento is an Open Source ecommerce web application launched on March 31, 2008. It was created by Varien, building on components of the Zend Framework.
- Zen Cart: Zen Cart truly is the art of e-commerce; free, user-friendly, open source shopping cart software. The ecommerce web site design program is being developed by group of like-minded shop owners, programmers, designers, and consultants that think ecommerce web design could be and should be done differently.
- Freeway: Freeway is by far the largest and most fully featured Open Source eCommerce platform. It doesn’t just sell products but extends to sell in some very fancy new ways and is very configurable. For example, you can just sell products if you are not interested in the other selling methods. You will find Freeway has very strong CRM features as well as a useful and simple CMS as well.
- osCommerce: osCommerce is an online shop e-commerce solution that offers a wide range of out-of-the-box features that allows online stores to be setup fairly quickly with ease, and is available for free as an Open Source based solution.
- OpenCart: OpenCart is an open source PHP-based online shopping cart system. A robust e-commerce solution for Internet merchants with the ability to create their own online business and participate in e-commerce at a minimal cost. OpenCart is designed feature rich, easy to use, search engine friendly and with a visually appealing interface.
- PrestaShop: PrestaShop e-Commerce Solution was built to take advantage of essential Web 2.0 innovations such as dynamic AJAX-powered features and next-generation ergonomy. PrestaShop guides users through your product catalog intelligently and effortlessly, turning intrigued visitors into paying customers.
- phpShop: phpShop is a PHP-powered shopping cart application. It is released under the GNU General Public License. The primary purpose of phpShop is to provide a simple shopping cart solution that is easy to customize to suit any purpose. phpShop has less features that many other shopping cart applications, but is generally easier to customize.
You should select the script which has good support and large community. Yon can try demo of these scripts to see how script works before installing on your hosting account. Demo link can be found on respective website. You can also download and check the script on your local server using WampServer or XAMPP. But remember, do not ignore a professional web hosting for your online store. Fast, reliable hosting is another vital requirement of online store websites.